Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How My Life Became Equal Parts Dull And Exciting, and Other Musings

Hello, it’s been a while, has it not?  This is mainly due to my life becoming equal parts very exciting and very dull. Shall we start with the dull parts first?  Well, the lack of sleep from Rome/Death Cab/Big Lebowski caught up with me in a big way.  Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday last week were completely written off through illness.  And instead of just trying to look after myself and enjoy the time off work, I tried to study!  Dear God, what have I become?  My life outside of work seems to have really hit study mode hard.  I had to turn down offers from distinguished writer Jonathan Hatfull (you can read his new blogging venture here: http://jonathanwriting.blogspot.com/) to see Tree of Life AND Hobo With A Shotgun.  Obviously something is wrong with me. 

So, what am I doing with most my time?  Reading through my notes very slowly.  Notes about statistics.  Statistics that I should already know and have no trouble with.  Oh actuarial exams, how you overestimate me.  The plan is to get through CT3 by Sunday and then I can hopefully get through CT6 before I go to Japan (two weeks on Friday).  This is almost do-able (I’m on Chapter 3 of 14, CT6 is a similar size).  Just have to knuckle down more, which is difficult considering my current social obligations.

So last weekend, I went to a houseparty.  As a result of said dinner party, I am now going on dinner date to Browns on Friday with a lady I’ve known for a while.  We left to party early to play Monopoly.  That is not a euphemism.  We stayed up until 6am playing Monopoly.  Because we are that cool.  So obviously, Sunday was spent recovering.  Monday was study day.  Monday was not productive.  I got through 1.5 chapters, but only starting seriously after 5pm.  Because I’m that special.  So the serious work started today.  Got to the office at 7:30am to do an hour and a half of study (so all of Chpt 3), armed with lots of fruit.  So you’d like to think that I’ll be getting home promptly from the office to do more tonight right?  If so, you’d like to be wrong.  Jonathan Hatfull is cooking spag bol for myself and Nate P. Barker (host of Saturday night houseparty).  I’m expecting lots of probing questions about Monopoly. 

Wednesday, Thursday are par for the course, lots of studying.  Friday is study in the morning, and then on to delightful company with a rather attractive lady in the presence of good food (seriously, don’t tell her, but I’m quite excited – our tastes are well suited, she’s a laughter riot and gorgeous).  Saturday isn’t study focused either.  Saturday is my buttnumbathon with Mr Hatfull.  Given how much I’ve been turning him down for the Cinema, we’ll be watching three to four films on the theme “rogues with a heart of gold”, because obviously, that’s how we live our lives.  Video game hockey may be involved.  Sunday then!  Surely I must be studying like some calculus hell demon on Sunday?  Eeeh, kinda.  Sunday is the only chance to combine my forces with my housemates with a good clean.  Hopefully though, with all of us working together, it should be done quickly.  It is important to clean the house because the letting agency want to take photos of the property. 

What else is there to comment on?  I watch Sherlock Jr and Fermat’s Room t’other day.  Sherlock Jr cemented how much I love Buster Keaton.  Guy had moves.  I seriously wish a tenth of the films released today were half as inventive as that film (ooh, fractions of fractions!).  Fermat’s Room was rather fun too!  Some clunky plot points and lines, but on the whole rather entertaining.  I must confess to never really appreciating Agatha Christie, but considering how much I enjoy films like this and Identity, I probably should give ‘And Then There Were None’ a go. 

So radio silence until I complete CT3 on Sunday? Deal?  Deal.  Just to sweeten it a bit more, I promise photos next post too. 

--------------------------------

Other Musings

I discovered the most amazing chocolate t’other day.  Green & Blacks dark chocolate with espresso infused type stuff.  Nom nom.  Would go well with a bottle of red and some Brahms.

I’ve curbed my drinking, but not as much as possible.  Last week there were drinks on Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat.  This week, I’ll probably have a drink tonight and not another until Friday.  No drinking Saturday.  I find it odd when people cut things like alcohol out of their lives – surely moderation is a healthier and more productive ability than abstinence?

Another week, still no Devils coach.   Or Parise signing.  Thank goodness the Avs drafted Skog is what I say!

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness the Avs drafted Skog is right. Seriously, I would have probably done serious damage to expensive things if that hadn't happened. Also, I very much prefer "Skog" as a nickname over "Landy," which is what our terrible, horrible, no-good very bad beat reporter calls him.

    Also. I personally do not think you missed out by missing Tree of Life. Just me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness they drafted Skog, because they missed out on the next Nick Lidstrom!!! I'm glad we're both happy with our drafting.

    Not just you, I've not heard the most glowing or damning things about it. It just seems to be there.

    I'm very glad you got your internet back!

    ReplyDelete