Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The fun one can having being Batman and other musings

So what's new? Not much. Not much at all actually. Since the last time we spoke, I've visited Carlisle, Billinghurst and Manchester on three consecutive weekends. The first was with my brother and my mum. Sam, my bro, is up there on a placement from his medical school. This involved visited a number of small towns in the rain, walking a fair bit and a couple of cinema trips (Anonymous and Midnight in Paris (yes, again)). Middle weekend was spent with Messrs Hatfull and Langridge re-watching our old Europe Road Trip video footage and planning a new trip. The final weekend involved visiting Dr. Iain McGibbon in his new flat and enjoying the fine music of St. Vincent live and in person.

So those were the events. Superfluous to these, I've manage to lose my winter coat and gloves, leaving me with only a scarf to battle the elements. I have also picked up a computer monitor, so I think that would be described as a net win overall. Honestly, I always make comments like "oh, I'm going to write this...", but my productivity is rather lacking. I worry about this more now that I have an amazing home entertainment package hooked up in the corner of my room. In fact, it is so amazing, that I think it needs a name. I think I shall call it Lindros 3000. The 3000 is because it's cool. The Lindros is because, after prolonged playing time, headaches will ensue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros). Actually, I feel bad about that. Sorry about the cheap shot Eric!

Oh well, that's enough fluff, let's get to something comment worthy. When I haven't been travelling or at work over the last three weeks, I've been playing Batman: Arkham City. My goodness, that's a very pretty game. Unfortunately, it hits an issue that I have with so many video games - plotting. Arkham Asylum was a rarity in so much as it provided a well thought out and, more importantly, satisfying narrative. This isn't to say that I don't like Arkham City (in fact, beyond my love of NHL 12, it's definitely my favourite game for a long time). I would highly recommend this game in a heartbeat, but my goodness, I wish that a video game would one day succeed in its aims for some form of cinematic denounment. Obviously Arkham City isn't alone here, GTA IV is definitely a big offender here as well. I worry about video games like these. By appropriating so much from cinematic language, are the games designers limiting their own work? I assume a lot of my issues are caught in the essence of an immesive game. If a character as avatar represents you, what happens when they act in a manner that you yourself would never do (I'm looking at you, L.A. Noire!)? 

Let's sum it up. I hold the belief that games appropriating cinematic language adds to the experience for the majority of the game, but fails when any sort of moral choice is presented or if the conclusion doesn't work:

Arkham City: I've not seen an ending so overwrought with angst since David Tennant left Doctor Who.
Dead Space 2: Fails as soon as Isaac opens his mouth.
GTA IV: After parodying a number of films and TV shows, asking for an emotional response to a rushed ending is asking way too much, especially given the suddenly morality of the so far immoral Niko Belak.
Heavy Rain: The biggest problem here is that the plot doesn't tie up, way too many loose ends. Considering this is a glorified animated movie, that's a big problem. Bitching soundtrack though.
L.A. Noire: To be fair to it, Pop Matters ran an incredible article about why the plotting work for them and from a intellectual level I can agree with what they're saying. Unfortunately, emotionally it did nothing for me. Is that a problem?
NHL 12: Winning the Stanley Cup never feels as good as I hoped.

 If there's one thing Arkham City really does well, it really makes me feel terrible about my figure and my lack of tree trunks for arms.

 ----------------------------------------------
Other musings

Paloma Faith v Miranda July was a very enjoyable twitter interview. More please!

Is everyone who writes in to Vanity Fair just pitching for their own articles? Certainly reads that way.

Single again, oorah.

The Holiday Inn in Kensington is rather pleasant. Nothing special, but pleasant.

That PopMatters article can be found here: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/145319-unplugging-the-player-from-the-protagonist

Cornerhouse in Manchester does one hell of a nice cocktail. If you go, order the Maple Manhattan and tell them Ben sent you there. When they look confused, just nod. Things will work out.

Seeing Midnight in Paris twice was incredibly enjoyable if only to see how different the two audiences reacted. In Cumbria, they didn't find Hemmingway funny at all. In fact the first audience was way better, if only for the fact they didn't have a walking Cliff Notes explaining all the jokes to her friend very loudly in the back row.

Other potential names for my speakers, monitor, PS3 combo; Hal Brooklyn, Stilton Joe, Freddy Quebec, Mr 2010, the Future, the American Dream. All would be good names for wrestlers.

Hoping that everyone at OWS is ok. Regardless of your political beliefs, we are all on the same page that police operations against its own citizens whilst a media blackout is in operation is a bit worrying?

No comments:

Post a Comment