Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Top 25 Films

In honour of the Sight & Sound Greatest Film Evah List coming out today, I thought I'd post a list of the current cream of my crop.  Please note, this only includes films that I've watched in the last three years (i.e. since I started recording such things).  There was no Citizen Kane to dethrone because I haven't seen it in the last three years (though, I would note, it would have placed quite highly).  Vertigo however, was completely qualified to be included on this list.

25)  Never Let Me Go
Me, Tommy, and Ruth

24)  His Girl Friday
Oh, you're losing your arm!  You used to be able to pitch better than that.

23)  Dark Water
仄暗い水の底から

22)  This Is Spinal Tap
He was the patron saint of quality footwear.

21)  Mystery Train
At the time of his death, if he were on Jupiter, Elvis would've weighed six-hundred and forty-eight pounds.

20)  Metropolitan
Well, everyone ceases to exist.  Doesn't mean everyone's a failure.

19)  The Prestige
Because of course, you're not really looking.

18)  Rushmore
I saved Latin, what did you ever do?

17)  This Is England
Some people say we're racists.

16)  Ed Wood
You must be double-jointed.  And you must be Hungarian.

15)  Shutter Island
There's just this; can my violence conquer yours?

14)  Fitzcarraldo
This church remains closed until this town has its opera house.

13)  Crimes and Misdemeanours
He left a simple note that said "I've gone out the window".

12)  Ghostbusters
Yes, have some.

11)  Mulholland Drive
When you see the girl in the picture that was shown to you earlier today, you will say "this is the girl".

10)  The Third Man
A person doesn't change just because you find out more.

9)  A Night At The Opera
That's what they call a sanity clause.

8)  Wild Strawberries
They might as well appoint me Honorary Idiot.

7)  Annie Hall
I would, but I need the eggs.

6)  Chinatown
Forget it Jake...

5)  Steamboat Bill, Jr.
Magic.

4)  Manhattan
Chapter One. He adored New York City. He idolized it all out of proportion.

3)  Barton Fink
You just don't listen.

2)  A Matter of Life & Death
I love you June.  You're life, and I'm leaving you.

1)  The Apartment
The most heart-wrenching moments in this film are all silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment